My name is Christina Joy and I am 20 years old. Among other things, I am a student, a freelance photographer, and people-watcher extraordinaire. This blog is a mason jar for the fragments of my increasingly jumbled soul. Don't be afraid of the monsters under the bed.

More about me

* = friend

All photographs are my own creations unless otherwise stated, and are not to be re-posted without proper credit to this website or my Flickr account. All content unless otherwise stated © Christina Joy 2011

04 January 2012

Two thousand eleven.

Last year around this time, I wrote a blog entry about all the things I had learned and accomplished in 2010.  It's crazy to think that since then, another 365 days have come and gone.  365 days of getting out of bed, brushing my teeth, and facing the day.  365 days of words, 365 days of heart-racing, mind-numbing, smile-splitting emotions.  365 nights of sweatpants and vending machine raids and tears and endless typing.  Plus a little sleep for good measure.

2011 marked many changes in my life, and I'd like to write about them here so that a year from now, I will remember that I am living.

Last year, I changed my major from psychology to multimedia production.  I don't think I've ever been so happy about anything in my life.  I am living for my passion and it is amazing.

Last year, I fell in love.  Don't ask me how it happened.  (I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.)  All I know is that I have an incredible lover who is first and foremost my best friend in the world.  Our relationship is a beautiful thing, something at which I marvel every day.

Last year, I learned that relationships are work.  If you want to go beyond the floating-on-air phase and into something deeper, then you will face many difficult conversations and must be willing to compromise.  But the end results are totally worth it.

Last year, I faced my inner demons.  Relapse is no fun, especially when it strikes hard.  In the year 2011, I have dealt with violent moodswings, severe weight loss and gain due to disordered eating, and a brief return to self-injury.  Thankfully, I am now at my healthiest and happiest, and have successfully gone off antidepressants.  Some things that I have learned from all this is that hiding things from people doesn't work, and that the only way to fix things is to be vulnerable and take things slowly.

Last year, I dyed my hair blue.  And I have not yet gotten it out of my system, let me tell you that.

Last year, I questioned my beliefs.  It was bound to happen at some point, as I attend a top Christian school surrounded by people who wear masks.  I am no longer certain of much, but I do know that love is real and it helps you find the truth.  I recognize that life is full of spiritual layers; I only have to find and understand them.  And that is harder than anything.

Last year, I attended my first live concert.  Nothing beats seeing your favorite band for the first time at your first concert.  Arcade Fire in Dallas was incredible.  I will store the memory in my head forever.

Last year, I completed my freshman year of college.  Now that I am a sophomore going into my 2nd semester, I can honestly say that I was an entirely different person back then.  At least now I know never to buy textbooks new, and to leave the cafeteria pizza alone.

Last year, I got serious about my photography.  I not only received my first paid commissions, but upgraded to a Canon 30D and purchased two new lens.  Photography is a field in which I always hope to learn more, and I doubt I will ever tire of it.

Last year, I finally pierced my ears.  19 is old enough, don't you think?

Last year, I watched two of my closest friends be hospitalized for attempted suicide.  Believe me when I say that nothing is more painful or more eye-opening.  Having been hospitalized for mental issues myself, I now see what my friends and family must have been feeling at the time.  More importantly, I have reaffirmed the belief that nobody should be taken for granted, and that there is no such thing as too much loving.

Last year, I recognized the value of extended family.  Since I was a military brat growing up, I never knew any of my extended family.  However, moving to Tulsa meant living within 4 hours of my dad's brother and his family and getting to spend most of my breaks with them.  I have grown especially close to my aunt, with whom I have shared laughter, tears, and lots of good food.  Who knew extended family could be so fun?

Last year, I embraced my natural curls.  You need to realize that I have been fighting my naturally curly hair pretty much all my life, which has resulted in many a blow to my self-esteem.  However, I now have a haircut I love and a styling technique which is not only super quick and easy but also showcases my head full of bounce!  I have never felt so confidant in the way I look.

Last year, I started this blog.  This may not be a huge deal, but I think I have finally found a satisfactory blogging platform in Blogger, and am looking forward to posting lots of photography and expressing more of my thoughts in the future.

There you have it.  2011.  I suppose I rambled a bit more this time, but who can blame me?  It was an important year.

A year ago, I ended my 2010 post by hoping that I could look back at the year 2011 and say that everything changed for the better.  You know what? I think it has. 

Here's to an even better 2012.

2 comments:

  1. you, my dear, are lovely. I think it's really sad that we don't talk more, and I just decided that one of my resolutions for 2012 is to do something about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youuuu are an amazing person :) -Micah

    ReplyDelete