My name is Christina Joy and I am 20 years old. Among other things, I am a student, a freelance photographer, and people-watcher extraordinaire. This blog is a mason jar for the fragments of my increasingly jumbled soul. Don't be afraid of the monsters under the bed.

More about me

* = friend

All photographs are my own creations unless otherwise stated, and are not to be re-posted without proper credit to this website or my Flickr account. All content unless otherwise stated © Christina Joy 2011

10 May 2012

But the nothing's surrounded by us


At least once every year, I do a photoshoot that stands out from the rest--one that simply blows me away and makes me squeal whenever I look at the pictures.  This was that photoshoot.

I had the idea of buying smoke bombs after a conversation with Charis (the girl whose portrait can be found at the bottom of this post), a fellow photographer who said she wanted to collaborate with me.  Finding an occasion to use them proved difficult, but we finally came up with an excuse during finals week, when we were just about dead from studying and needed a break. What better study break than shooting with smoke bombs?

When we started out, it was just me, Charis, Nathan (another photographer) and my boyfriend.  By the time we lit the fuse on the last smoke bomb, five more people had showed up.  It was the most fun I'd had taking pictures in a long time.










 



































In other news, I'm on summer break! I'll spend these first few weeks in Texas visiting with relatives and touring Austin with my boyriend's band, then fly home to Chicago on the 25th.  Then, starting June 6th, I'll be working a photography position in Pennsylvania. It's going to suit me perfectly, and I can't wait.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I have my favorites.
    !!!!!
    This is SUCH a fantastic idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! I love how enthused Trent looks in the first photo of him. xD

    I can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very creative christina :) now, when are you gonna come see me, eh? ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah! Pennsylvania?! Come visit me!!
    <3 your former neighbor in 618, Chelsey(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! It looks so incredible!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love these!

    p.s. I'm having a giveaway if you'd like to check it out! :)
    devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures make me wish I had been there. Looks like it was absolutely magical. How have you been?! I totally forgot you were still blogging and it makes me glad to know you are, because as of late I've become an absolute blogaholic! :) Consider me a regular commenter now and maybe we can get back in touch!
    Hugs! ~Mariella
    http://cupsandmuses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete